Online Services in Alaska
In the Land of the Midnight Sun, time might seem to stand still―especially when waiting in line to take care of driver- or vehicle-related business. Fortunately, you can take care of numerous tasks from your home computer.
Online Driver Services
Typically, driver services are handled through the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby AK DMV office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your driver's license. Visit the state site for online driver's license renewal.
- Replace a lost or damaged driver's license.
- Apply for an ID card or renew your identification card online through the state.
- Order a driving record.
- Take care of traffic tickets.
- Make a change of address.
- Make a name change with the state and beyond.
- Register to vote.
Refer to our Drivers License & ID section if you don't see the online service you need; Our driver-related pages offer a wealth of information that can still save you some time.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take an AK drivers license practice test.
- Take an AK drivers permit practice test.
- Take an AK commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take an AK motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study an Alaska Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Schedule a road test online.
- Enroll in an Alaska defensive driving course if you received a traffic ticket.
Consult our Driver’s License Checklist for complete details on getting licensed in Alaska.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Online Vehicle Services
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby AK DMV office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in Alaska.
- Renew your vehicle registration online (your address must be current before renewing).
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Obtain a regular Alaska license plate.
- Order personalized license plates online.
- Learn more on AK smog check and emissions testing requirements.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in Alaska that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the Last Frontier.
- Buy car insurance.
- Buy motorcycle insurance.
- Buy commercial auto insurance.
- Buy boat insurance.
- Buy sport vehicle or ATV insurance.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.