- Location: Alaska
Motorcycle Registration in Alaska
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All motor vehicle registrations are set to expire on the last day of the month of registration.
You are also required to display one license plate on your motorcycle. Alaska offers personalized license plates for your motorcycle, and you can order them online. They are only available in the standard blue and yellow. The Caribou and Mountain designs are not available for motorcycle license plates.
Motorcycle registration is also available via the Internet, but first, you must make sure that the DMV has your current address on file. If you receive what is known as the "pre-bill" by mail, you'll know that the DMV has your correct address. If it's getting close to time for renewal and you have not received a pre-bill, you should check to see if the DMV does have the current address. If you get stuck and can't change your address online, contact DMV for instructions on what you need to do.
In order to renew online, you'll also need to have a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card to pay the registration fees. Once registration is processed, your new tabs will be mailed out within two days to the address on file at the DMV. If you do not receive your tags within 14 days, contact DMV to follow up.
If you are a motorcycle owner in the military, there are some additional rules regarding your registration renewal. For more information, please see our page on drivers in the military.
Have you built your own custom bike? There are some different procedures and documentation involved in the registration of a custom-built motorcycle. If you need to register a custom bike, please see our section on custom registrations before you visit your local DMV office.
If your registration will expire while you are outside the state, you have a couple of options for getting it renewed. You may:
Here's what you'll need in order to renew your registration online:
- Have the Netscape or Internet Explorer browser version 4.0 or higher
- Enable your browser to accept cookies
- Have Java enabled on your browser
Renew by Mail
In order to mail your registration renewal, send the following items:
- Your pre-bill
- A copy of your last registration
- The motorcycle license plate number
- A check for the renewal fee, plus an additional $10 for processing
- A Vehicle Transaction Application OR
- A letter requesting the renewal by mail
Renew at Your I/M Station
When you have your I/M test at one of the many I/M stations throughout Alaska, you may renew your registration at the same time, once your motorcycle has successfully completed the testing. Some stations charge an additional fee for processing the registration. You can contact the station directly to inquire about this before going there. And, even if you don't have your pre-bill, some stations can still issue you a registration.
You can mail any requests or questions to:
- State of Alaska
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- Attn: Mailouts
- 1300 W. Benson Blvd. Ste. 200
- Anchorage, AK 99503-3600
Or, go to your local DMV office if you need more assistance.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard