Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Disability Plates and Placards in Alaska

    AK Disability Plates and Placards
    Page Overview

    Verified As Of: 05/18/2015

    Our goal is to give you the most up-to-date, accurate information about your state DMV's processes. The date you see here reflects the most recent time we've verified this information with your state DMV. When they change something, we do, too!

    SUMMARY: Alaska Disability Plates & Placards

    Disability parking placards and plates are available from the Alaska DMV; you can obtain a temporary or permanent placard, or permanent license plates. You must apply for a placard or plate by providing certification of your disability. Handicapped parking permits also require renewal and re-certification. If you lose your disabled parking permit or it gets stolen, you can request a replacement.

    Read below for more information about disability placards and plates in Alaska.

    Types of AK Disability Permits

    The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers several types of disabled parking placards and license plates that allow you to use handicapped parking spaces:

    • Temporary disability placards.
    • Permanent disability placards.
    • Disability license plates.
    • Disabled veteran license plates (with the wheelchair logo).

    If you are visiting Alaska from another state, you can use the disability placard or plate from your home state, as all U.S. states honor all handicap parking permits from all other states.

    Apply for Disabled Parking in Alaska

    You can apply for all disability placards and license plates in person from the AK DMV. Only some applications may be submitted by mail (see below).

    NOTE: All applications require medical certification by an approved healthcare professional.

    Handicap placards are free. The first set of disability license plates are also free .

    To apply for a placard or plate, you will need the Application for Disabled Parking Identification (Form 861), which must include medical certification signed by one of the following:

    • Licensed physician.
    • Physician's assistant.
    • Nurse practitioner.
    • Podiatrist.
    • Chiropractor.

    NOTE: For disabled veteran plates, you will also need a VA disability certificate.

    You can submit any application in person at an AK DMV office.

    Apply by Mail

    You can submit your application by mail if:

    • You're applying for disability placards ONLY.
    • You're applying for a license plate AND you live in a remote area.

    Applications should be mailed to:

    State of Alaska
    Division of Motor Vehicles
    ATTN: Disability Permit
    1300 W. Benson Blvd, Suite 200
    Anchorage, AK 99503

    Renew Disability Placards & Plates

    All Alaska disability placards and license plates must be renewed to remain valid:

    • A temporary parking placard is valid for up to 6 months.
    • A permanent disability placard is valid for 5 years.
    • Disability license plates are valid for 5 years as long as your vehicle registration is valid.

    To renew your parking placard or disability status for your license plate, you will need to fill out a new copy of the Application for Disabled Parking Identification (Form 861), complete with new medical certification.

    You can either submit this application:

    • By mail to the address above.
    • In person at an AK DMV office.

    NOTE: You must also renew your vehicle registration for your Alaska handicap license plate to be valid.

    Replace an AK Handicap Permit

    To request a replacement disability placard—if the original is lost, stolen, or damaged—you can:

    If you need a replacement license plate, see our AK license plate page for more information.

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

Looking for Disability Plates and Placards in Another State?