Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Change of Address in Alaska

    How to Change Your Address

    The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles wants you to stay in touch!

    Whenever you move or change your mailing address, you are required to provide the AK DMV with a written Change of Address (Form 401).

    You can then either mail the form to any DMV location or fax it to the number on the form.

    Change Your Address in Person

    You may also change your address in person at your local DMV office.

    Change by Letter

    If you are unable to access the form online, you may still change your address by mail. Just mail a letter to any DMV office, requesting the change of address. Be sure to include the following information:

    • Driver's license number
    • Printed name
    • Your signature

    The DMV cannot process a change of address without your signature, so before you seal that envelope, make sure you have signed the address change request.

    Other Address Changes

    Your files are not linked, so provide information for all the vehicles in your name so DMV can update your car registration, boat registration and your RV or motorhome registrations. Finally, don't forget to change your address on your motorcycle, ATV or snowmobile registrations and your voter registration.

    Showing Your New Address

    You may place a paper or printed address label over your old address, as long as the label does not cover up any pertinent information on the license. If you'd like to have your license show your current address, you'll need to apply for a duplicate driver's license.

    Online Renewals & Change of Address

    The Alaska DMV now offers you the option to renew your vehicle registration online. This applies to all types of registration, including your automobile, boat, snowmobile, ATV or trailer.

    In order to update your address in time to have your registration renewal notice sent to your current address, be sure to make the change within 4 months prior to the expiration date or you will need to make a trip to the DMV.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.