Car Insurance in Alaska
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Car Insurance in Alaska
Alaska requires all registered cars to be insured. This is to guarantee that you will be protected in the unfortunate case of a car accident.
Read more to learn about Alaska car insurance laws, how the state’s programs can help you with insurance issues, and how insurance companies in the state determine your rates.
Alaska Car Insurance Requirements
In order to comply with Alaska car insurance laws, you must have liability insurance to help cover costs associated with injury or property damage to the other party in an accident you cause.
Your liability insurance must include the following minimum coverage limits per accident:
- $50,000 for bodily injury, per person.
- $100,000 for total bodily injury when multiple people are hurt.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Optional Car Insurance
After an accident, it can be devastating to find that the minimum insurance requirements do not provide you enough financial protection.
When you consider that liability only covers injury or property damage you cause to others and not your own, you can imagine that you may end up spending a lot of money if anything happens to you or your property.
When shopping for car insurance, consider these optional types of coverage:
- Collision – This will help pay for damages to your car after a traffic accident.
- Comprehensive – This will help you with damages to your car that result from non-accident-related events, such as weather, fire, and animal collisions.
- Uninsured motorists – While car insurance is required, many people still drive around without it. If you get in a car accident caused by one of these drivers, this coverage can help you with associated costs.
- Underinsured motorists – Like uninsured motorists coverage, this will help you when you get in a car accident with a driver who does not have enough insurance coverage.
- Medical payments – This will assist you with your medical costs if you are hurt in an accident.
NOTE: Loan and lease terms often require the driver to purchase collision and comprehensive coverage.
Proof of Insurance
You are required to carry a proof of car insurance with your vehicle at all times. The most common form of proof is your insurance ID card issued by your insurance company.
If you are caught driving without car insurance, you face driver’s license suspension.
If your license is suspended because of a car insurance violation, you will need to file an SR-22 proof of insurance (often referred to as “SR22 insurance”) in order to have your license reinstated.
Your car insurance company can file your SR-22 for you. Keep in mind that purchasing an SR-22 will likely increase your premium rates.
Alaska Automobile Insurance Plan
If you are having problems finding car insurance because insurance companies have deemed you a high-risk driver, you can apply for car insurance through the Alaska Automobile Insurance Plan.
The plan offers high-risk drivers the opportunity to obtain car insurance in Alaska by sharing the risk associated with these drivers amongst the providers in the plan.
Car insurance through the plan is generally more expensive than through the open market. You should only apply to the plan as a last resort.
For more information, call (800) 227-4659.
Other Car Insurance Issues
Alaska’s Division of Insurance offers assistance to consumers with complaints and fraud.
If you are having a dispute with your car insurance company, you can file a complaint to gain assistance with your issue.
You can file your complaint:
- Online at the Division of Insurance website.
- By mail by printing an Insurance Inquiry/Complaint Form and sending it to:
- Division of Insurance
- Consumer Services Section
- 550 West 7th Avenue
- Suite 1560
- Anchorage, AK 99501
Insurance companies lose a huge amount of money due to insurance fraud. Those losses get passed down to consumers through increases in car insurance premiums.
Car insurance fraud often involves:
- Staging car accidents.
- Lying about injuries.
- Lying about property damage.
To report suspected fraud, contact the Division of Insurance by calling (800) 867-8725.
Determining Car Insurance Rates
Several factors affect your Alaska car insurance premium.
When comparison-shopping for car insurance, keep in mind that the following will factor into your rates:
- Your driving record.
- Your age and gender.
- Your marital status.
- Your car’s:
- Your credit history.
- The chosen deductibles:
- Your deductible is the money you are responsible for towards a claim before your insurance kicks in.
- Higher deductibles result in lower premiums.
AK Car Insurance Discounts
A great way to save on car insurance in Alaska is taking advantage of any available discounts.
When comparing car insurance quotes, you should ask about these common discounts:
- Good driver.
- Good student.
- Anti-theft device.
Discounts can play a big role in getting cheap rates, but the biggest factor is a clean driving record. Accident avoidance and safe driving are the major factors in obtaining and maintaining low-cost Alaska car insurance.Car Insurance Agents in Alaska
Choose a State:
Insurance Resource Center
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- Six Common Car Insurance Myths
- Car Insurance Statute of Limitations
- Why Car Insurance Rates Go Up After Accidents
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims