Dealer Licensing in Alaska

Automotive dealership licenses are valid for 2 years in Alaska and all motor vehicle dealerships, including those selling both motor vehicles and motorcycles, as well as those dealerships selling motorcycles only, must be covered by surety bonds.

Registration Process

To register your dealership or to register as a buyer's agent in Alaska you are required to do the following:

  • Submit an original, notarized, surety bond in the amount of $50,000 (or $25,000 if your dealership sells motorcycles only) to the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
  • File an application to register as a motor vehicle dealer or buyer's agent with the AK DMV. Your signature on this document must be notarized.
  • Submit a check or money order for the $50 registration fee.

Request an Application

If you would like to receive an application and information packet about how to become a motor vehicle dealer or buyer's agent, send a request along with your name and mailing address to:

  • State of Alaska
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Attn: Dealer/Fleet
  • 1300 W. Benson Blvd. Ste. 300
  • Anchorage, AK 99503
  • Phone: (907) 269-3755

The processing time for a new dealership or buyer's agent certification is approximately 6 weeks.

Other Agencies

Depending on your location, you may be required to apply for a business license or other local or state licensing in order to legally operate a business or to act as a buyer's agent.

Establishing a Business in Alaska , a document from the Alaska Commerce and Development Department, has information about business operation in Alaska.

You may also wish to check with your franchise seller to determine if there are other state or local requirements you'll need to meet.

Once You've Been Certified

When you receive your assigned motor vehicle dealer certificate or registration from the AK DMV, you are required to display it at the business location. Your certificate is valid only for the name and address as shown.

If You Move

If you move your business location, you must notify the DMV and provide them with a rider for the bond, showing these changes.

If You Stop Doing Business

If you stop selling motor vehicles or working as a buyer's agent, you are required to return the registration certificate, plus any dealer plates, and temporary permits to the DMV.


You will receive a renewal letter, along with the appropriate enclosures for to renew your certificate for the next 2 years.

Dealer Information

If you are looking for a listing of all the licensed motor vehicle dealerships in Alaska, the AK DMV offers a current dealer listing in PDF format.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Dealer Licensing in Another State?