DMV Appointments in Alaska
At this time, you can only schedule an appointment to take the Alaska driving test for Standard, Motorcycle (M1 or M2), or Commercial (Class A, B, or C) licenses with the Division of Motor Vehicles. You can do so 24 hours prior or up to 60 days in advance by scheduling your road test online or by phone at your local DMV office. Read the sections below for more details.
For all other driver and vehicle services at the Alaska DMV, you must wait in line. Keep in mind not all tasks require an in-person visit to a branch office; find out which online services you can take care of from your own computer.
Please read all information and requirements as the Alaska DMV DOES NOT issue refunds for cancelled appointments, failure to appear, or failure to pass your skills test.
Alaska DMV offers an online appointment scheduler to book your Alaska Road Skills Test.
The online system allows you to:
- Select your test type (DL, Motorcycle, or Commercial)
- Select a DMV office
- Reschedule up to 24 hours in advance
- Pay for your test with a credit card
A confirmation e-mail will be sent with specific instructions including test type and location. Also, a reminder e-mail will be sent 3 days prior to your appointment.
You must meet certain requirements to be able to use the online scheduler, such as passing required knowledge tests. An Alaska driver permit for the type of license you want to obtain is considered proof of passing the knowledge test. However, for commercial licenses additional testing is required. If you are not sure please check with the DMV.
You can also schedule your appointment by phone. Simply call your nearest branch during office hours.
If you must pay a visit to your local DMV office, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you from standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday