Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in AlaskaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
New adult drivers in Alaska do not have to take all the necessary steps new teen drivers may have to face when obtaining a driver's license.
Even if you’ve been driving for years in another state, taking a formal driver's ed course for Alaska’s specific laws will help you pass the driver’s exam.
Make an appointment to take the test at your nearest DMV office.
- Get any necessary forms from the DMV office.
- Bring both primary proof of legal name and secondary proof (license from another state, school ID, employee ID, income tax form, military ID), as well as your Social Security card and proof of address.
- Pay the $20 fee for the written test.
- Pass a vision exam.
Alaska does not have any official accommodations for those with special needs, but if you need help, ask the DMV representative.
Although you can always borrow a car to take the road test, you’ll still need one to practice with and drive around once you have your license. It makes sense to look into buying a car.
With a car, you’ll need to shop around for car insurance. Get several quotes from different companies. Some offer discounts for good drivers, good students (they’ll ask for a report card), and more, so be sure to ask about what’s available.
If you are getting your license for the first time, you must successfully complete a road test given by a DMV examiner.
If you have a valid out-of-state driver’s license, you are exempt from the road test.
- Make an appointment at a DMV office or a third party test site. Some Driver’s Ed classes also offer road testing.
- Bring the test vehicle, proof that you passed the written test, vehicle registration and insurance, and two forms of ID.
- There’s a $15 fee.
The test vehicle will be safety inspected. Also remember to not have studded tires on the vehicle unless it’s legal at the time.
Once You Pass
The testing agency will issue you a passing certificate to take to the DMV to get a license.
If You Fail
The test administrator will tell you what you should practice before your retest.
At larger DMVs, your license will be issued to you on the spot. At a smaller DMV, it will be sent out to you right away.
If you have a valid driver’s license from another country, the procedure for getting an Alaskan driver’s license is the nearly the same as if you moved from another state. After 90 days, you’ll have to get your Alaskan license.
If you’re from Canada, you’ll have to give your license to the DMV. Then you must:
Other Topics in This SectionOrgan Donation Survey
- Provide Proof of Name, date of birth, and social security number.
- Pass the written and vision tests.
- Pay any applicable fees.
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸