Accident Guide in Alaska
Here's the Scoop
If you're involved in a crash, follow these steps:
- Don't flee. Stop the vehicle and assess. If you're obstructing traffic, try, if possible, to move your vehicle to the side of the road.
- If you hit an unoccupied car and cannot locate the owner, leave a note with your contact information under the windshield wiper.
- Try to alert oncoming traffic so as to reduce chances of another accident.
- If there was another vehicle involved, exchange information with the driver. Get the other driver's name, phone number, address, license plate number, driver's license number, and insurance company name.
- Submit a Certificate of Insurance within 15 days if estimated property damages are over $501.
- If an injury is involved or there is $2,000 or more in property damage and the accident occurred within a municipality, you must immediately contact the local police department. If the accident occurred outside of a municipality, contact the Alaska State Troopers.
- Within 10 days of the accident, mail an Alaska Motor Vehicle Crash Form to:
- DMV Main Office
- P.O. Box 110221
- Juneau, AK 99811
Have Pledged to Not Drive Distracted.