Accident Guide in Alaska
Here's the Scoop
If you're involved in a crash, follow these steps:
- Don't flee. Stop the vehicle and assess. If you're obstructing traffic, try, if possible, to move your vehicle to the side of the road.
- If you hit an unoccupied car and cannot locate the owner, leave a note with your contact information under the windshield wiper.
- Try to alert oncoming traffic so as to reduce chances of another accident.
- If there was another vehicle involved, exchange information with the driver. Get the other driver's name, phone number, address, license plate number, driver's license number, and insurance company name.
- Submit a Certificate of Insurance within 15 days if estimated property damages are over $501.
- If an injury is involved or there is $2,000 or more in property damage and the accident occurred within a municipality, you must immediately contact the local police department. If the accident occurred outside of a municipality, contact the Alaska State Troopers.
- Within 10 days of the accident, mail an Alaska Motor Vehicle Crash Form to:
- DMV Main Office
- P.O. Box 110221
- Juneau, AK 99811
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!